Friday, July 31, 2009

Happy Anniversary

Tomorrow is my parents anniversary. They have been married 39 wonderful years. Some years have gone by quickly with no crazy twists and turns. Others have seemed longer bringing change, heartache, and loss. When you marry someone do you really know what your life is going to be like together? In my opinion you may feel that you know but it never turns out like you plan. When mom and dad married on that day in August 39 years ago they were two young kids starting on life's journey. Their life would take them in directions they had never dreamed of. Having to move from NC to Vermont was the fist of their adventures. Quite a change for two southerners. But they made it- you know why? Because they had each other ( and of course two wonderful children) . As long as they or we were together as a family it didn't matter where we were. They left Vermont for Ohio and this is where they made their life together. Obviously having grown up in Ohio I am a little partial to this stop on their journey. Mom devoted her life to us girls taking on roles of Girl Scout leader, Brownie leader, score book keeper at softball games, and just taking care of us in every way possible. Dad worked hard every day with Energizer traveling all over the world. Even with all the time he spent over seas we still felt like a perfect family. I remember when he was gone how close we were with Mom- doing puzzles, playing board games, and watching musicals all snuggled up in their bed. Maybe with us there she didn't miss him as much. When Dad would come home Mom would spend so much time getting ready, putting on a beautiful dress, rolling her hair, and putting on makeup. She wanted to look her best when she first saw him. It was such a big deal to go to the airport to wait for his plane. Back then we could not only go to the gate, but we could go to the observation deck and watch for the plane. Dad always came home with presents from his travels. Opal rings for all of us from Hong Kong, dolls from every country he went to, watches,and one of my favorites currency from everywhere. Kids always love money even if they can't spend it. We spent 19 wonderful years in N. Ridgeville and in 1998 Dad's job brought us back to NC. We, especially my sister and I were devastated at the thought of a move but never did we think of choosing the state over remaining with our family. Little did we know that the move to NC would be the final leg of our journey. Coming back to NC has brought us closer to our family and has brought us closer as a family. It's funny I feel closer to my parents and my sister now then I did when I lived with them. Mom and Dad have stayed focused on keeping our family whole and doing what was best for our family. They have stayed together through some tough times such as newlywed money pinching( tuna casserole anyone), the loss of a father, becoming a first time parent, moving away from family, moving to another new town, raising two children without the support of family nearby, the loss of a mother, the loss of another father, trying to sell a house while trying to build a house 600 miles away, another move this time closer to family but with two crabby and resentful daughters, leaving all their friends behind, job changes, life changes..... I guess my point is that Mom and Dad have always been there together, as a team. I hope that my husband and I can be such a wonderful team in raising our children. It is because of them that my sister and I are the women we have grown to be. I don't think they envisioned all the curve balls they would be thrown in life when they said I do 39 years ago. However I feel that because of those curve balls they are a better and stronger couple always supporting each other... Always loving each other. Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad. We love you both.

2 comments:

  1. Sweetheart,
    Thank you for the beautiful tribute. It means a lot to your Father and I. I am not sure how we have put up with each other for 39 years but we have, and God willing we will have many more.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. In today's world it is good to see there are some marriages that survive. Thank you for writing such a beautiful tribute to your Mom and Dad. Aunt Jill

    ReplyDelete