Jaeden and Emily
Two of my Munchkins
Jaeden, Drew and Emily getting ready to monkey around
Sharing the Love
Jaeden, Drew, and Emily
Kicking back and LaughingThe kids and I had a lovely time yesterday. One of my friends from college and her beautiful little boy came down to NC for a visit. It was so wonderful to see them, it had been almost 2 years since the last time we saw them. As it was cold and windy we decided that indoor festivities were in order for the day. We went to an indoor childrens activity center called Monkey Joe's, that is filled to the brim with inflatable fun for the kids to play on. Needless to say, the kids had a blast. They ran, and bounced, and slid, and jumped and just had a ball. I was so glad to see that the time apart hadn't affected their friendship. It was so good to get to see Ashley and Jaeden. She was such an important part of my life in college. It was the first time in my life that I had been on my own away from my parents and my sister. I guess we hit it off when we found out that we were from the same little town in Vermont. What are the odds? I guess the truth is that seeing Ashley reminded me how much I hate that all my really good friends live so far away. Ohio, Vermont, Colorado. Whether it is a friend that you physically grew up with, going through the tough times of adolescence with, or a friend that you emotionally grew with and matured with. I miss having that girlfriend to stay up half the night talking to. One to cry about boys with while we ate ice cream or drink a peach daiquiri with when we have had a bad day. We grew up, got married, had kids , and went our separate ways. Although we still talk to our friends, and love them just the same as we did years before, we somehow lose that carefree ability that we had when we younger. We are adults with adult problems and worries and and lives. If only the two worlds could exist together. One in which we could be wives and mothers and still be allowed to be young and impetuous. As mothers, wives, and career women, we find that the little time we have for ourselves are taken up by playdates, activities and homework. Our new friends are the other soccer and t-ball moms-which is fine and great, but it is not the same as the lifelong friends of adolescence, or the carefree friends of college. My point is that I love my life, but seeing Ash reminded me how much I miss my friends, my me friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment