don't tell the kids they didn't notice
Already in jammies they watched in awe.
Alex and Drew at Bella's Birthday party
The birthday girl hopscotching in the water
Alex drying off from the hopscotch
Making a wish
Mom Mom and Emily
Having fun with party favors
I think he wanted to keep Uncle Danny
Aunt Gilly and Mom Mom
Em, Alex, and Drew
I was suddenly hit with the realization of how much my family has grown apart. I am not sure if that is the right way to word it. Maybe how much all our hectic lives have interrupted our time spent together. In the old days we would come to NC and everyone would come to the farm. We would gather not once , but for several days in a row. Cousins spending the night playing cards and board games, parents talking "big people talk" . It is like we have gotten off track, been sidelined by children, jobs, schools, and the biggest offender of all miles. Now we get together for weddings and showers, births and deaths, an occasional holiday like Christmas. It needs to be not only when people come into town from far away- but in addition to. Why should we need a reason other than we love each other and want to see each other. I enjoyed my time that weekend spent with my lovely family. Family from New York, from Shelby, Harrisburg, and Rockwell. I missed those who were not able to be there. I am hoping that we may all be able to meet again sometime soon- this time the complete Earnhardt family.
Over the 4th of July weekend we had celebrations of many kinds. We celebrated beautiful Bella and her 5th birthday. We celebrated this glorious country and all that it stands for. The freedom to live the wonderful lives that we live. Lastly we celebrated family. Our family.
We spent Saturday in Harrisburg- running through the sprinklers, eating BBQ and ribs, having Dawn's homemade cupcakes. It was a beautiful day spent outside in the shade chatting with the family that we don't get to see often enough. Bella was a beautiful birthday girl. She was a real princess- glass slippers and all.
Sunday everyone headed to Mom and Dads for a cookout on the 4th. We had BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, and salad. We relaxed on the deck while the kids swam in the pool. They splashed and kicked- Andrew swimming even faster and harder trying to impress all the onlookers. Alex fell in love with Uncle Danny- he was heartbroken to see him leave. My Aunt Jill said it reminded her of the old days spent at the farm. A sentiment that rang true.
I was suddenly hit with the realization of how much my family has grown apart. I am not sure if that is the right way to word it. Maybe how much all our hectic lives have interrupted our time spent together. In the old days we would come to NC and everyone would come to the farm. We would gather not once , but for several days in a row. Cousins spending the night playing cards and board games, parents talking "big people talk" . It is like we have gotten off track, been sidelined by children, jobs, schools, and the biggest offender of all miles. Now we get together for weddings and showers, births and deaths, an occasional holiday like Christmas. It needs to be not only when people come into town from far away- but in addition to. Why should we need a reason other than we love each other and want to see each other. I enjoyed my time that weekend spent with my lovely family. Family from New York, from Shelby, Harrisburg, and Rockwell. I missed those who were not able to be there. I am hoping that we may all be able to meet again sometime soon- this time the complete Earnhardt family.
Wish we could have been there Kathy. Sounds like fun was had by all.
ReplyDeleteI ditto everything you wrote. Thank you for making our July 4th holiday so special. Aunt Jill
ReplyDeleteCathy I feel the exact same way. I miss so much the times when we would spend weeks together at a time, catching up with each other, driving pop-paw crazy by staying up late every night playing rummy, waking up at the crack of dawn to your dad's loud whistle, fighting for time in the only bathroom in the house in the mornings, helping mom-mom prepare meals, chasing wild cats, exploring the farm, etc. We didn't realize then what a special time that was in our lives and I wish so much we still had that. We'll just have to keep making the moments we have as special as possible. Thanks for making Bella's birthday and the 4th of July a special time us. We miss you!
ReplyDelete