
As you can see beautiful scenery all around
Our wild and crazy road up. Yes we actually drove that road!
One of the breathtaking views from the Summit of Pikes Peak
The old Cog Railway that runs from Manitou Springs to the top of the peak. As they announce the departure they say, "This is the final call, if you miss the railway, you will be walking down"
Interesting tidbit- Cheryl's husband has done the hike, up all thirteen miles of it one way, not once but twice. Can you imagine?
One of the beautiful rock formations on the way up.
The view of the peak from the reservoir. An amazing view, especially with all the aspens on the mountainside.
More aspens on the mountainside. You can see the crazy road that we took up to the top criss-crossing on the top of the peak
I was treated to a wonderful birthday present from my best of friends Cheryl. A ticket to come and see her in Colorado. I like to say I took time away. Time away from the stresses of trying to sell a house, the stresses of living in a different house than your husband, and dealing with a little boy who likes to have tantrums and a little girl who has been moody and hormonal lately. I don't call it a vacation because that would be something I would do with my family. I call it time away because that is what Billy's company calls it when you have a period of time off from your job.
I had a wonderful time with my bestest of besties. We try to get together every year and this time it had been a little more than two. Let me say that my first trip to Colorado, but this one was even better. I was pregnant with Alex and felt absolutely horrible the entire time that I was there . I was nauseous had horrible dry mouth and nose bleeds. All this from the dry air- no humidity, and altitude. This time was so much better. I still had the dry mouth and nose bleeds, but those I could live with.The Devine family were such gracious hosts. This time I had the whole family to spend time with. Last time was before Derek was born and Ryan was deployed to Iraq. We did some things that we weren't able to do last time. We went to the top of Pikes Peak. Last time we only went up to the reservoir, and I felt horrible there. This time we went all the way up to 14,110 ft. It was amazing. Simply amazing. As you stand there on the top of that great mountain, it seems so surreal. You feel a little out of sorts from the air and elevation- at least I did- they have paramedics at the top for a reason. Back in the 1800's Katharine Lee Bates wrote the poem America the Beautiful after traveling to the top of Pikes Peak. I have to say it is beyond breathtaking now, I can only imagine how it must have been back in the day when there was nothing out there but land. A panoramic view of the purple mountains majesty and the Colorado plains. The sight was truly inspiring, I wonder if Bates had any idea that her poem would become such an integral part of what embodies being an American.
Wow - amazing photos! So glad that you took the time to get away and spend some amazing time with your best friend. You deserved it. Hope you are feeling refreshed and rejuvenated again.
ReplyDelete